Proper Procedures after a Car Accident
Many people think or hope that they will never be in a car accident. Unfortunately, accidents can happen to even the most cautious of drivers, and it is good for drivers and passengers to know the proper procedures to take after an accident because it will lessen the shock and hopefully lessen the damage done to drivers, passengers, and anyone else involved.
Proper procedures include:
- Put on your emergency blinkers on to make sure no additional drivers or passengers become involved in the accident.
- Check passengers of your vehicle and other vehicle. If any passenger or driver has incurred serious injuries, render first aid and call 911 to report a medical emergency and to contact police.
- Document all damages done to yourself, passengers, other drivers and passengers, vehicles (interior and exterior), and objects on the road. It is recommended that drivers keep a camera in their car at all times to take photographs of any damaged property.
- Exchange information with the other driver or pedestrian involved in the accident. This should be: name, personal contact information, insurance company name and number, driver’s license number, make and model of the vehicles involved, and license plate numbers. Drivers should also write down the direction the vehicles were headed and the location of the accident.
- Wait for medical personnel and police officers to arrive.
If you or someone you know has been involved in a car accident caused by negligence or recklessness on the part of the other driver, contact the Lake Geneva car accident lawyers of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at 800-242-2874 today.