Child Car Safety
It can often be challenging for parents to maintain control of their vehicle while also having to control their children in the back seat. Since children may not understand the important responsibility that driving entails, they may be distracting, causing you to pay more attention to them than the task at hand. However, there are certain tips that parents can review before attempting to navigate the roads with children in tow.
The most common accidents for children to be involved in are motor vehicle collisions. According to a study conducted by the National Center for Statistics and Analysis, nearly 250,000 children are injured in car accidents every year.
If you have been in an accident caused by another driver, who was engaging in negligent or reckless behavior, contact the Lake Geneva car accident lawyers of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at 800-242-2874. You may be entitled to financial compensation under the law.
Important Safety Tips
There are six common hazards associated with children and cars, including back-over, heatstroke, power windows, vehicle roll-away, seat belt entanglement and trunk entrapment. There are certain tips parents should adhere to when driving their children in the car, including the following:
- Make sure your child is using the proper restraint system for his or her size/age. This can include rear or forward-facing car seats, booster seats and average seat belts. Make sure they are fastened correctly.
- Use child safety locks for your car doors and windows.
- Make sure your children understand that it is not safe to play around cars, even parked ones.
- Never leave your child in an unattended vehicle.
- Use the emergency brake every time you park.
As a parent, your child’s safety should always be your top priority. By adhering to the above tips, you can make sure you children are kept safe at all times while in or around your car.
Even the safest parents cannot fully protect their child from injury or harm. If another person engages in reckless driving behavior, you may be able to bring that individual to a court of law, if an accident occurs because of it. To learn more about your legal options, contact the Lake Geneva car accident attorneys of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at 800-242-2874 today.