Car accidents involving pedestrians are a very real occurrence on the US’s roadways. According to the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Highway Administration, a pedestrian is killed or injured every seven minutes in our country. Not only are walkers at risk, but motorists may be as well, if they swerve to avoid hitting an individual or exhibit other unsafe behaviors.
If you are involved in a pedestrian accident, as a walker or driver, that is the result of another person’s negligent behavior, you may be able to pursue compensation in a court of law. To speak with an experienced attorney regarding you individual case, contact the Lake Geneva pedestrian accident lawyers of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at 800-242-2874 today.
Tips for Drivers
To minimize your chances being involved in a pedestrian accident, take the following steps:
- Be alert at all times when behind the wheel. Pedestrians are especially hard to see in bad weather or at night.
- Drive slowly when near crosswalks. Be prepared to stop your vehicle.
- Do not try to pass other vehicles that are stopped for pedestrians.
- Adhere to school zone speed limits. Take notice of small children who may dart in front of your car.
- Make sure to always check your blind spot before turning.
Simple actions like these can help you and those around you stay safe while you are driving.
Tips for Pedestrians
You can protect yourself while walking by remembering the following:
- Do not walk on freeways or otherwise restricted zones.
- Adhere to traffic lights and walk signs.
- Carry a flashlight and/or wear reflective clothing when walking at night or in bad weather.
- Use extra caution when crossing busy, high-speed streets or multi-lane roads.
- Use sidewalks where provided for you.
Though following the above recommendations will make you a safer walker or driver, it is impossible to control the behavior of others. When accidents do occur, know that you have rights under the law to sue for damages. The best way to make sure your case is presented well in front of a judge or jury, employ the help of an experienced attorney right away.
If you or someone you love has recently been involved in a pedestrian-related car accident, contact the Lake Geneva car accident attorneys of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at 800-242-2874 today.